Friday, July 17, 2009

Time to finish the construction

This post is totally unrelated to windsurfing, except for the fact that we chose this location for our house because it's nearer to the beach and we can go windsurf in a few minutes notice. The worst thing that can happen to a windsurfer is when he isn't prepared and there's a good blow coming (because the forecast is wrong!). Of course, when you live nearer to your homespot, you can stuff your gears immediately and be ready in no time. See, this is still related to windsurfing after all! :-P

Our house construction began in Dec 2007 and most houses are finished after 12 months. However, we decided to momentarily stop the construction when the windy season starts and resume the construction during calmer days. Hence, our schedule looked something like this:

Dec 2007 - started construction (even if it's Amihan season)
July 2008 - stopped construction (because Habagat is coming)
Sep 2008 - resumed construction (because Habagat is over), paintworks, interiors, etc.
Nov 2008 - stopped construction (because Amihan is coming)
May 2009 - resumed construction (because Amihan is over), fencing, pergola, hardscaping
July 2009 - stopped construction (in anticipation of Habagat)

You see, all the aspects of my life is already about windsurfing. :-)

So, anyway, even though I am an accountant in my day job, I just love to build things from woodworking to plumbing and electrical works. I build all the cabinets and most tables in the house. This explains why I have a complete line-up of hand and power tools at home. The labor money I saved is used to buy the power tools. What better way to justify my power tools spending spree!!!

When the construction began, I only have an electric drill, grinder, jigsaw and a couple of handtools. Most are owned by my dad whom I share genes of this building things thing. During the course of the construction, I have acquired:
1. a Maxsell electric planer during installation of doors (got it while it was 20% off at True Value Ayala)
2. a Makita 6.5 circular saw during cabinet works (should have got the 7.25 but the seller at Cebu Home Builders is very hostile so I went to Belmont and bought there instead).
3. a Yamato 200A welding machine at Belmont for gate steel works
4. an Ozito 18v cordless drill, Ryobi belt sander, Ozito cordless grass shear and hedge trimmer during hardscaping and landscaping works

I should now stop buying tools and build them a nice tool cabinet. I think after 1 house, they deserve their own home.

So anyway, the perimeter fencing works was finished last week except for the gate. What better time to buy a welding machine and learn the art of welding myself. My father have some working theory and experience and I asked him to start for me. Afterwards, I was on my own because he is very busy in his swine business (not swine flu).

One thing I have learned (the hot way) is to use proper clothing and protection since welding creates a lot of burns if you are not careful.
Striking the arc tests your patience big time but once you get the hang of it, it's actually easy and addictive. Welding the frame took about three days inclusive of the cutting and painting.

Our gate is not those fancy wrought iron designs. Just a faux wood (aka concrete board) to go along with the southwestern house design. I love the most part of cutting and installing the boards, except when I have to clip my long legs. It's painful and discomforting.


Fortunately, the fiancee volunteered to do the low side.



In time, she was doing the whole thing! I tell you, constructing a house is addictive.


Then, we remembered. This is the last basic permanent material that forms the house. So, we gave it a good ceremony for the last board to complete the perimeter fence. Kingking just completed the house.


It's amazing that 18 months ago, I just poured the first concrete of this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment